Thursday, March 5, 2009

Love is Blind (and Dum)


Quoting Woody Allen, the difference between sex and love is that sex relieves tension and love causes it. My thoughts exactly, so like everything else in life, there is a balance to be achieved. If there is one thing I have learnt (and learnt to ignore) from my mum, it is, ‘Everything in moderation’. Although, I’m not entirely sure that she was speaking in the context of love and sex, but I guess it applies nevertheless.

So what if you are getting one and not the other? Well, it seems that either way your life is unbalanced. Depending on which way it is unbalanced, either you would be overly happy and tension-free, or you’d be rather frustrated, as a friend of mine recently discovered.

In the blink of an eye, he went from being a suave Casanova-type to being a sappy love-sick puppy. He claimed to be in love. Being a cynic and a non-believer in the love-at-first-sight concept myself, I wasn’t completely convinced.

What followed were months of late-night meetings in cars, non-stop conversations about this new obsession in his life, trips interstate, gifts, giggling and giddiness and grand declarations of commitment from him. And although she participated in these meetings (ie. she showed up to them), she didn't speak much, and when she did speak indications from her were somewhat closer to ambiguity. She switched on and off as quickly as a light bulb, always leaving my friend confused and wanting more. Might I add, that this ambiguous-association (for lack of a better descriptor) went on for longer than any of his previous proper relationships, before it fell apart in the most dramatic way.

Like a true friend, I tried to listen to as much of the heart-breaking story as I could tolerate, after which I referred him to www.askmen.com

All this drama got me thinking. Was my friend in love? I guess it could have been anything from Love to Lust. Perhaps he had a fascination with this girl because she is something just slightly out of reach, almost attainable.

Just some of my random thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment